Tuesday, June 08, 2004

What follows is my reply to Kay Bailey's reply to a petition I sent her:

I thank you for you prompt replies to my emails over the years. Courtesy seems to be a lost art today both in day to day life and especially in politics.

In particular, I refer to your email:

June 7, 2004
>
>
> Mr. Thomas Chamberlain
> 4804 Avenue G
> Austin, TX 78751-2523
>
> Dear Mr. Chamberlain:
>
> Thank you for contacting me regarding Iraqi
> prisoner abuse. I welcome
> your thoughts and comments on this issue.
>
> I have been to Iraq to visit our troops and assess
> the mission
> first-hand. The military's task involves important
> projects, such as
> building schools and hospitals, and establishing
> order to enable the Iraqi
> people to advance toward democratic ideals. The
> security provided by
> American forces, while never perfect, ensures
> opportunity in the region.
> The United States is committed to rebuilding efforts
> in Iraq, and it is
> imperative we support the military men and women who
> are serving with
> honor and distinction in difficult circumstances.
>
> I am troubled by the actions of a small group of
> American soldiers
> against Iraqi prisoners; what has occurred is both
> unacceptable and
> intolerable. There is no excuse for what happened
> to the prisoners and
> those involved will be held accountable for their
> actions. I support the
> Administration's commitment to uncovering the facts
> on why these abuses
> happened and punishing those who are found guilty.
> I understand your
> concerns, but it is important to let the
> investigation take its full
> course. Please be assured I will continue to
> monitor the situation
> closely and keep your views in mind.

With all due respect, I am troubled by my senator referring to the systematic mistreatment of Iraqis by US personnel as "actions of a small group of American soldiers." What? Allegations of abuse come from all of the detention centers in that country and over 38 deaths in those facilities are classified by the military as homicides.

These abuses occurred after Gen. Miller came to Iraq from Guantanimo Bay to "improve intel" from prisoners, and you ask your constituents to believe these actions arise from rogue elements? The ICRC was raising red flags from the get-go about our detention centers and specifically lambasted them last October and November. But no one seemed to care as long as there weren't any pictures. Well I care. And you should too. This abuse is the result of an ends-justifies-the-means approach instilled by Donald Rumsfeld and his deputies, but you want to blame a few badly trained reservists?

Maybe now you can understand why many freedom-loving Americans oppose the Patriot Act and demand court oversight of everything this administration does. We do not trust our leaders, and according to the constitution, shouldn't have to. You in the legislative branch and those in the judiciary as supposed to be watchdogs, not lapdogs. And if the attitude expressed in your email in any indication, you are failing us.

I urge you to rise above party loyalty and demand to know why chain of command was so confused in those detention centers that this abuse was even possible. I sincerely hope you will reconsider your position.

No comments: